Building the future with blockchain technology
We are a multidisciplinary team of researchers, developers and consultants who develop and evaluate solutions and services, based on blockchain technology.
Our focus is on promoting and accelerating the use of blockchain technology in development of innovative IT solutions & services that support new business models.
What we do
Providing personalized one-day or multi-day workshops / trainings about blockchain technology and smart contracts.
Expert support in the assessment, decision making and implementation of the strategy of adopting blockchain technology in existing business models.
Identify and evaluate the quality of innovative services based on different blockchain technology platforms.
Expert support in the assessment, decision making and implementation of the strategy of adopting blockchain technology in existing business models.
Expert support in designing and evaluating innovative blockchain-based business models and smart contracts.
Expert support for implementation of application projects - implementation of pilot solutions.
SSI Authority Delegation & Verifiable Mandates
S partnerji Netis Group, blockchain tehnologij in walt.id sodelujemo v projektnem ekosistemu eSSIF-Lab. Poudarek dejavnosti raziskav in razvoja projekta AD&VM bodo #SSI Authority Delegation, primeri uporabe, tokovi procesov, podatkovni modeli in njihova uporaba v scenarijih, kot so javna uprava in/ali njena uskladitev z #EBSI, #ESSIF in #eidas.
Digital Europe for All
Partners with H2020 DE4A where we conduct research in the field of blockchain technology and digital identities. We also participate in the project "Study Abroad" pilot.
Implementation of pilot tests on Hyperledger Frameworks: Fabric, Iroha and Burrow.
IOT & IOTA
Internet of things meets distributed ledger
Setting up an IOTA private network and collecting real-time sensor data (temperature, humidity, brightness, etc.) from the work environment and sending them to IOTA tangle or IOTA MAM Channel and analytical display of data from the IOTA network.
Efficient Collaboration Team Autonomous
The Blockchain Lab: UM team advises on the assessment, decision making and implementation of the ECTAsolution, which will be based on blockchain technology concepts. Participates in the implementation of a smart contract that will allow startup fundraising (ICOs) to execute a project. It also assists in providing information security for design and development.
PKP 2018 - Smart contracts based on blockchain in business processes
"Po kreativni poti do znanja" is a student orieted project proposing innovative solutions based on smart contracts and blockchain in the insurance industry. The use of these enables the removal of intermediaries or unnecessary manual work, as well as the automated, transparent and speedy implementation of business processes, which reduces costs and puts the insurance company in step with time.
We have developed and tested a prototype of smart contract based insurance service. We also created guidelines for developing such solutions.
Global plaform for knowledge certificate management
Ecosistem EduCTX is a global decentralized platform for the awarding of digital micro certificates to trusted institutions. The platform provides a complete and unified digital environment for managing, awarding and presenting certificates to individuals and educational institutions, businesses and organizations. At the same time, it enables the development of independent digital services that offer organizations the ability to automate the evaluation of individuals' skills and knowledge.
Platform represents the initiative EduCTX, which seeks to bring different interest groups together to create a globally effective, streamlined and versatile environment with the aim of avoiding linguistic and administrative barriers.
our academic achievements
As a team of multidisciplinary researchers and developers, we focus on different aspects of blockchain technologies. Our work includes scientific articles, professional publications, student theses as well as patent applications.
- ČUČKO, Špela, TURKANOVIĆ, Muhamed. Decentralized and self-sovereign identity: systematic mapping study. IEEE access, DOI: 10.1109/ACCESS.2021.3117588
- REK, PATRIK, TURKANOVIĆ, MUHAMED. DATA MODELLING FOR BLOCKCHAIN ORIENTED SOFTWARE ENGINEERING : 32nd CECIIS, October 13-15, 2021, VARAŽDIN, CROATIA.
- MUHAMED TURKANOVIČ, BLAŽ PODGORELEC. SIGNING BLOCKCHAIN TRANSACTIONS USING QUALIFIED CERTIFICATES. IEEE INTERNET COMPUTING, DOI: 10.1109/MIC.2020.3026182
- BLAŽ PODGORELEC, MUHAMED TURKANOVIĆ, MARTINA ŠESTAK. A BRIEF REVIEW OF DATABASE SOLUTIONS USED WITHIN BLOCKCHAIN PLATFORMS. BLOCKCHAIN AND APPLICATIONS : 2ND INTERNATIONAL CONGRESS ON BLOCKCHAIN AND APPLICATIONS, BLOCKCHAIN 2020.
- BLAŽ PODGORELEC, MARJAN HERIČKO, MUHAMED TURKANOVIĆ. STATE CHANNEL AS A SERVICE BASED ON A DISTRIBUTED AND DECENTRALIZED WEB. IEEE ACCESS, ISSN 2169-3536, MARCH 2020, VOL. 8, DOI: 10.1109/ACCESS.2020.2984378.
- Blaž Podgorelec, Muhamed Turkanović, Sašo Karakatič. A Machine Learning-Based Method for Automated Blockchain Transaction Signing Including Personalized Anomaly Detection. Sensors 2020, 20(1), 147.
- Blaž Podgorelec, Vid Keršič, Muhamed Turkanović. Analysis of Fault Tolerance in Permissioned Blockchain Networks. 2019 XXVII International Conference on Information, Communication and Automation Technologies (ICAT). Sarajevo, BIH.
- KAMIŠALIĆ, Aida, TURKANOVIĆ, Muhamed, MRDOVIĆ, Saša, HERIČKO, Marjan. A preliminary review of blockchain-based solutions in higher education. Learning technology for education challenges : 8th International Workshop, LTEC 2019 Zamora, Spain, July 15-18, 2019.
- TURKANOVIĆ, Muhamed. Databasesd meet blocks, ledgers and contracts. New trends in databases and information systems : ADBIS 2019. Bled, Slovenia.
- REK, Patrik, PODGORELEC, Blaž, TURKANOVIĆ, Muhamed. Complexity analysis of decentralized application development using integration tools. SQAMIA 2019 : proceedings. Novi Sad. Str. 1-10. ISBN 978-86-7031-476-4.
- KERŠIČ, Vid, ŠTUKELJ, Primož, KAMIŠALIĆ, Aida, KARAKATIČ, Sašo, TURKANOVIĆ, Muhamed. A blockchain- and ai-based platform for global employability. Blockchain and applications : international congress on Blockchain and applications, BLOCKCHAIN 2019.
- TURKANOVIĆ, Muhamed, HÖLBL, Marko, KOŠIČ, Kristjan, HERIČKO, Marjan, KAMIŠALIĆ, Aida. EDUCTX: A BLOCKCHAIN-BASED HIGHER EDUCATION CREDIT PLATFORM. IEEE Access, ISSN 2169-3536, Dec. 2017, vol. 6, iss. 1, str. 5112-5127, doi: 10.1109/ACCESS.2018.2789929.
- HÖLBL, Marko, KOMPARA, Marko, KAMIŠALIĆ, Aida, NEMEC ZLATOLAS, Lili. A Systematic Review of the Use of Blockchain in Healthcare, 2018
- TURKANOVIĆ Muhamed, PODGORELEC Blaž , KAMIŠALIĆ Aida. PAMETNE POGODBE NA VERIGAH BLOKOV, DSI 2018, Portorož, april 2018.
- HÖLBL Marko, HRGAREK Luka, KOMPARA Marko, TURKANOVIĆ Muhamed. VARNOSTNI KONCEPTI TEHNOLOGIJE VERIŽENJA BLOKOV, DSI 2018 Portorož, april 2018.
- KAMIŠALIĆ Aida, TURKANOVIĆ Muhamed, HOLBL Marko, PODGORELEC Blaž, HERIČKO Marjan. EduCTX: EKOSISTEM ZA UPRAVLJANJE DIGITALNIH MIKRO CERTIFIKATOV, DSI 2018, Portorož, april 2018.
- PODGORELEC Blaž, REK Patrik, ROLA Tadej, TURKANOVIĆ Muhamed. A BRIEF OVERVIEW OF PROPOSED SOLUTIONS TO ACHIEVE ETHEREUM SCALABILITY, CSS 2018, Ljubljana, oktober 2018.
- VODEB Aljaž, TIŠLER Aljaž, CHUCHURSKI Martin, ORGULAN Mojca, ROLA Tadej, UNGER Tea, ŽNIDAR Žan, TURKANOVIĆ Muhamed. INTRODUCING BLOCKCHAIN TECHNOLOGY INTO A REAL-LIFE INSURANCE USE CASE, CSS 2018, Ljubljana, oktober 2018.
- HÖLBL, Marko, KAMIŠALIĆ, Aida, TURKANOVIĆ, Muhamed, KOMPARA, Marko, PODGORELEC, Blaž, HERIČKO, Marjan. EduCTX: An Ecosystem for Managing Digital Micro-Credentials. V: THORBERGSSON, Helgi (ur.). 28th EAEEIE Annual Conference : September 26th to 28th 2018, Menntasetriõ viõ Lækinn, Hafnarfjörõur, Iceland. [S. l.]: IEEE. 2018, str. 1-4, doi: 10.1109/EAEEIE.2018.8534284
- KAMIŠALIĆ, Aida, TURKANOVIĆ, Muhamed, PODGORELEC, Blaž, HERIČKO, Marjan. Sinergija protokola IPFS in tehnologije veriženja blokov. DSI 2019, 26. konferenca Dnevi slovenske informatike, Portorož, april 2019.
- HÖLBL, Marko, KOMPARA, Marko, KAMIŠALIĆ, Aida, NEMEC ZLATOLAS, Lili. Uporaba tehnologije veriženja blokov na področju zdravstva. DSI 2019, 26. konferenca Dnevi slovenske informatike, Portorož, april 2019.
- KAMIŠALIĆ, Aida, TURKANOVIĆ, Muhamed, HERIČKO, Marjan. A decentralized system for managing micro-credentials based on blockchain 2.0. V: 10th International workshop on Data analysis methods for software systems, November 29 – december 1, 2018, Druskininkai, Lithuania. Vilnius: University press. cop. 2018, str. 39.
- KAMIŠALIĆ, Aida, TURKANOVIĆ, Muhamed, PODGORELEC, Blaž, HERIČKO, Marjan. Conceptualization and implementation of a digital blockchain-based platform for managing micro-credentials. V: HAFNER, Ana (ur.), LEVNAJIĆ, Zoran (ur.). Book of Abstracts. Novo mesto: Faculty of Information Studies. 2018, str. .2
International Blockchain Autumn School
Blockchain and Smart Contracts - Technological, Legal and Economic Aspects
European Blockchain Hub, autumn 2018
The Blockchain Technology
One day workshop at KMO - Application In The Educational Domain
Žilina (Slovakia), August 2018
3-day training - Development of smart contracts and decentralized applications with the Ethereum platform
Maribor, May 2018
Seminar on digital transformation using smart contracts and decentralized applications
Ljubljana, October 2018
Blockchain, dApps & Smart Contracts
Maribor, September 2018
We are spreading knowledge
ADBIS 2019 – Databases meet blocks, ledgers and contracts
Invited lecture at 23rd European conference Advances in Databases and Information Systems ADBIS 2019, Bled, Slovenija, TURKANOVIĆ, Muhamed.
INFOSEC 2019 – Tehnologija veriženja blokov – miti in resnice
Lecture at INFOSEC New Technologies (INT 2019), Nova Gorica, Hotel Perla, junij 2019, TURKANOVIĆ, Muhamed.
Digitalna preobrazba s tehnologijo blockchain
How blockchain technology can be a tool in digital business transformation
Posvet slovenskega blockchain partnerstva
Research and Development Presentation of Blockchain Lab: UM
Forum UpBeat Družbene inovacije
4.-5. december 2018
Akademski humor – Porazdeljeno soglasje v navideznem svetu
Startup Müsli - Blockchain today and where it will be in 10 years
11. september 2018
DAAD 2018 – Workshop on Cooperation at Academic Informatics Education across Balkan Countries and Beyond
EduCTX: A decentralized system for managing micro-credentials, based on smart contracts and the Ethereum blockchain platform – 5. september 2018
Comtrade MeetUp 2018
Blockchain, the technology
International Healthy Lifestyle Symposium 2018 - Incorporating Blockchain technology into 24alife & healthcare solutions
PODIM conference 2018
Blockchain Academy Keynotes: Technology
De Iure-De Facto
Blockchain - Technical aspects of blockchain technology
KMŠ Tech Blockchain 2018
Differences between different crypto technologies
Faculty day - FERI 2017
Blockchain Technology - Fraud or Future
Big data meets Blockchain: possible outcomes
Invited lecture at ICBAIT, International Conference on Big Data Analytical and Intelligent Technologies, Madurai Kamaraj University, March 2018.
DSI 2019 – Tehnologija veriženja blokov – miti in resnice
Vabljeno predavanje na DSI 2019, 26. konferenca Dnevi slovenske informatike, Portorož, april 2019. TURKANOVIĆ, Muhamed.
We involve students in projects Po kreativni poti do znanja and other projects. Our students have won the award for the best student project at the conference Dnevi slovenske informatike with a project Payment after delivery with Blockchain technology.
At the fall school, students learned about blockchain technology, the development of smart contracts, decentralized applications and Android mobile application developement with the Kotlin programming language.
In the competition section a team of students Martin Domajnko, Samo Miklavc in Urban Prahwon the a prize pool of 1000 € in Bitcoins.
V sklopu jesenske šole so študenti spoznali osnovne tehnologije veriženja blokov (ang. blockchain), pametne pogodbe, Etehreum platformo, solidity programski jezik, decentralizirane aplikacije, web3.js, truffle, oraklje ter principe in dobre prakse razvoja.
V tekmovalnem delu šole sta zmagala študenta Vid Keršič in Primož Štukelj. Z zmago sta osvojila glavno nagrado 700 evrov in 25.000 ECTA žetonov.
Students learned the basics of blockchain technology and the development of applications across different blockchain platforms. In the competition, they came up with a solution that provides a modern way of pay-on-delivery using smart contracts and blockchain technology.
In the competitive part of the school students Jure Sreš in Domen Hohler won with their solution and received a cash prize of 1,000 €
RECOGNITION OF other EXPERTs
EduCTX platform receives eAward 2019
EduCTX - a digital platform for managing micro-certificates, based on blockchain technology, was recognized at the 26th Conference of Slovenian Informatics Days for the best project in the field of computer science and informatics.
Keeping up to date
Technologies, tools and frameworks
Our key to success are people
Blockchain Lab:Um Team
Insight in ux
UX Design Patterns for decentralized apps
Members of Blockchain Lab:UM have been researching the user experience aspect of decentralized application. The product of our research is an online UX design pattern librarythat sheds some light on possible ways of solving dApp usability issues with UX.
Up to date
- Online library of dApp UX design patterns Blockchain Lab:UM Patterns, 01. 07. 2020,
- Open call for for PhD Position - early stage researcher candidates University of Maribor, Faculty of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, 19.06.2020, In the field of Digital identities, Self-Sovereign-Identity, Decentralized identities and Distributed Ledger Technologies as Blockchain.
- Slovenian patent in the field of blockchain filed with the European Patent Office IKT Finance, 18. 10. 2019,
- What is the use of advanced blockchain technology? Tele M, Televizija Maribor, 11. 12. 2017,
- Cryptocurrencies Tele M, Televizija Maribor, 11. 12. 2017,
- Technology conquering the world - Blockchain Dobro jutro, RTV SLO, RTV 4, 03. 01. 2018, 3. del
- Improving blockchain technologies RTS24, 12. 03. 2018,
- Expert panel: Blockchain technologies in the economy TV Maribor, 20. 09. 2018,
- Interview with Blockchain Lab: UM group leader IKT Informator Finance, 01. 10. 2018,
- When can we expect internet elections? Journal entry, TV SLO1, 01/12/2018, from 3:25 minutes onwards
- What are the biggest challenges for companies choosing to use blockchain technologies? Start:up Maribor , 28. 09. 2018,
- Autumn school “Blockchain, dApps & Smart Contracts” Video lectures, 19. 12. 2018,
- Blockchain and cryptocurrencies Podcast Zakulisje, 16. 10. 2017,
- The 2019 DSI e-Award for the EduCTX platform Računalniške novice, 28. 04. 2019,
- A digital platform that manages micro-certifications report on TV SLO1, 07. 05. 2019,
- EduCTX platform receives eAward 2019 IKT Finance, 24. 05. 2018,